Hello! My name is Hevin and I have been living in New Orleans for the past 12 years. I went to Tulane University for my undergrad and I majored in Neuroscience with a minor in economics. My community service in New Orleans started in high school when I started collecting toys for the Children’s Hospital. This was a unique experience as I and my classmates collected hundreds of toys and distributed to children during Christmas holiday. My community service in New Orleans continued when I went to Tulane University. I volunteered for Make Music NOLA where I mentored students on Saturday mornings during their music class. I shared my experiences with the students about how I was able to overcome challenges and make it to college. 

I looked forward to continuing my community service in New Orleans through this master’s program. Although, I haven’t got a chance to do any community service this month, I do look forward towards working with Habitats for Humanity, KIPP and Children’s Hospital. 

This master’s program has been an incredible experience so far. I have met amazing people, met excellent professors and faculty and learned fascinating things. My favorite topic thus far has been pharmacokinetics and how the body manipulates the drug in so my ways. I was intrigued by the cytochrome P450 enzymes and how different substrates and drugs can be either inducers or inhibitors. I was found the topics of gene therapy and stem cell research to be very interesting. I was amazed that in the future we could potentially grow organs in labs and cure diseases through the use of viral vectors. The anti-HIV class by Dr. Mondal was interesting as well. Not only did we learn about drugs used to treat HIV, but how different drugs can be combined to produce a more effective treatment plan.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 2019

April 2019