March 2019


The month of March definitely flew fast with Mardi Gras in the beginning and then the NBME exam in the middle. In this hectic month, I found several opportunities to volunteer and dedicate my time to the community. On March 21th, I and two other PhD students from Tulane went to Stuart Hall School for Boys to educate the students on careers in STEM. The PhD students shared their experience and what it took to get to the position that they are in currently. They explained to the students what research they are involved in and what their typical day looks like and the cool things that they do. For example, one of the PhD shared how she went to Africa to do research on the Ebola viruses. I, on the other hand, shared my experience about how I studied Neuroscience in college and then worked in a clinic after and then started the pharmacology masters. I explained to the students why I wanted to be a physician and what their job entails. I told the students that it’s a long road and, therefore, it is important to stay focused. I was amazed to see how curious the kids were and I had such an amazing time there.
Furthermore, on March 30th, I volunteered at the Lusher Crawfish Boil. I partnered with Tulane University Medical Group and I was stationed at the first aid booth. My primary job was to help anyone who had any minor injuries such as a cut or a bruise. I was also promoting Tulane clinics by handing out brochures and flyers. In all, it was a great day to be outside and having fun.

Total hours: 11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2019